2.27.2008

Polymer Clay Musings

One of my favorite aspects of polymer clay is that it is so darn versatile. You can mimic almost any material, use it for molds, make jewelry, housewares, museum quality art pieces, create almost anything your imagination can dream up.

I'll admit, while I've mastered many techniques, there are a few that I haven't really gotten the hang of. One of those techniques is caning. Yes, I know, one of the most basic of the basics. I attempted it early on in my polymer clay adventures and didn't have much success. Part of it was I was too broke to commit the amounts of clay needed to cane properly. And I also lacked patience. I've tried it periodically through the years and each attempt has gotten better but it has never ignited my imagination enough to really work hard on it. I prefer sculpting and faux/antiquing techniques.

I'm sure y'all have seen plenty of my own work so here are two fellow Etsy artists demonstrating my two favorite methods....


antiquing
Dirty Love by huntersdesigns


and sculpting
Welsh Corgi by designsbyginnybaker

2 comments:

Ginny Baker said...

I would like to tag you :)

The rules are:
1. Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Michael said...

Yeah, I know what you mean about caning. I've never really tried more than an extremely simple cane before-- for pretty much the same reasons you name-- lack of interest and (early on) worry over the amount of clay I'd potentially be turning to scrap. I'm thinking about finally trying it more seriously, soon, though.

It *is* pretty great that there are so many things to with polymer clay that we can always have something left to try! :o)